Though infections of the ear can occur at any age, they are most common in children. This is because the Eustachian tube that drains the ears is smaller and less sloped than in adults. This often allows fluid to pool in the ear and become infected. Though these infections normally do not pose a great risk to a child’s health, chronic infections can sometimes lead to damaged ear structures. This can cause hearing loss. This is why it is important you are able to recognize the signs of an Ear Infection so you will know when to contact your child’s doctor.
Signs of Infections of the ears include:
- Your child may pull on or rub their ears more than normal.
- Some children become fussy or irritable. They may cry more often.
- Children with infections in the ears often have trouble sleeping.
- In younger children with infections, fevers are common.
- If you see fluid draining from the ear, this could mean infection is present.
- Some children have balance issues and seem to stumble and fall more than normal.
- When infection and fluid build-up become severe, the child’s hearing may be affected.
If your child is exhibiting any of these signs of Ear Infection, they need to be seen by the doctor right away. The doctor can examine your child’s ears and determine if infection is present.
The doctor will make the call on what type of antibiotic is needed. Antibiotics can clear up the infection so the pain is stopped. If your child is given an antibiotic for their infection, it is important they finish the entire bottle. Stopping an antibiotic before the infection is cleared can lead to bacteria becoming antibiotic resistant.
If your child seems to suffer with chronic ear infections, the ENT may advise your child has tubes put in. This can improve drainage and help to prevent infection. To learn more about the treatment options for ear infections, contact Allen Ear Nose & Throat Association. They can help your child to overcome the pain of ear infections. Call today and schedule your child’s appointment so your child’s ear health can be monitored.