If you work with metals you understand why some are much more difficult than others. Bronze is not too much trouble but aluminum bronze machining can be a real pain if one is not experienced and does not have the best equipment. Here are the good and bad about this metal, to help you decide if it is a good choice for you.
What is Aluminum Bronze?
Standard bronze is made from tin and copper. However, aluminum bronze is created mostly with copper and aluminum. One of the most common alloys is known as C95400. This alloy has excellent tensile strength and resistance to corrosion. It is used in many different applications, such as:
* Valve parts
* Pressure blocks
* Worm gears
* Marine applications
* Fasteners like nuts, bolts and screws
Benefits of C95400
* Ductility – aluminum bronze machining can create pieces which may be worked and formed into different shapes. In addition, it is pliable enough so it does not lose any of its strength or corrosion resistant properties in the process.
* High wear resistance – can be used in many kinds of heavy duty applications.
* High tensile strength – excellent for load bearing conditions. It will not lose its integrity when placed under tension or stress.
* Fatigue resistance
* Low oxidation makes it highly resistant to corrosive atmospheres. It is far superior to steel.
* Resistant to saltwater – often used in marine environments
* Increase corrosion resistance – when combined with parts made from other metals, it can increase the resistance to rust and corrosion.
Aluminum bronze machining can present problems to some machine shops. For example, you must maintain very sharp equipment. Once cutting tools start to dull, you could experience problems with build-up and other issues.
What about Tarnish?
Everyone knows how standard bronze can tarnish and turn green over time. This is caused by the oxidation of copper and tin and it is known as a patina. Although the patina is not rust, some people feel it is unsightly and you won’t have this problem with aluminum bronze.
Finding the Best Aluminum Bronze Machining Source
If you do not plan to machine materials like C95400 you will need to find a shop to take care of this need. Look for a machine shop which can take care of both large and small orders and offers a wide range of services. For example, the best shops can perform drilling, boring, threading, milling, CNC machining and many other services. They work with materials like bronze, aluminum, stainless steel and even plastic. Plus, you will enjoy custom prototype services for your business.