Picking a real estate agent in Chicago can be challenging. Here are 5 ways to help you figure out which one is the best:
1. Ask recent clients. If you know anyone who has recently worked with the agent you’re considering, there’s nothing wrong asking them for feedback. How did they find the agent? What are the best features of their home? You’d want to ask the last question if you’re a seller. Is your property similar to the properties the realtor has managed in the past? If the answer is yes, that’s a plus point. Knowing that the realtor has had experience handling a property like yours inspires confidence in their ability to sell it in the current market.
2. Look up licenses. One way you can check the realtor’s license is by accessing the state’s regulatory body to see if there are any complaints or disciplinary measures taken against them. You could also Google them to see if information is available online.
3. Get someone with the right certificates. Credentials matter. They speak to a realtor’s training, experience, and in plenty of cases, specialization. So, make sure your real estate agent has the credentials or specialized skills you need. For instance, a Certified Residential Specialist (CRS) has training in handling real estate, while an Accredited Buyer’s Representative (ABR) has extra education in taking care of part of a transaction on the buyer’s behalf. A Senior’s Real Estate Specialist (SRES), on the other hand, has completed training designed and built to focus on helping buyers and sellers who are 50+ years old navigate the selling or buying process.
4. Length of service. Figure out how long the real estate agent has been working in the industry. You can ask around until you know. Less than five years means they might not have the skills or connections you need just yet, so it might be a better idea to go with someone who holds more experience.
5. Check out their current listings. Are there major similarities, or are the listings diverse? Do the listings reveal a pattern or specialization? Does the pattern include the design and type of property you own? If it looks like the agent has zero experience handling properties like yours, it might be better to look elsewhere.
If you’re looking for real estate assistance in the Chicago area with more than a decade of experience, Baird & Warner Real Estate has the training and expertise to help you.
Address: 2526 North Lincoln Avenue Chicago IL 60614 (773) 697-5555