There is no state that makes it a legal requirement to hire a lawyer for the probate of an estate. However, the probate process can be quite complicated, and a person may be held personally liable if something is not handled properly. A single, seemingly insignificant omission or the failure to send a copy of the petition, or even a missed deadline, can result in everything coming to a complete halt. However, all of these issues can be avoided when a person opts to hire a Probate Lawyer in Bainbridge Island.
If the estate that a person has to handle is easy and there are precise instructions regarding the forms that are needed, then a person may be able to handle the probate process without legal help. However, if complications may arise, it is best to hire a Probate Lawyer in Bainbridge Island for assistance.
For example, if any of the following situations are seen, it is highly recommended that legal counsel is sought.
* If a dispute over a past tax comes up
* If there is any type of ambiguity in the will’s wording
* If there are any disputed claims, such as a spouse who claims the property that was left to someone is actually community property
* If there are any issues with unfinished contracts or disputed debts, such as a business sale that did not finalize
* If there is quite a bit of property that has been left to a minor that needs to have a guardian appointed
* If there are not enough assets in the estate to pay all the debts
A person should keep in mind they have a number of options to hire a probate lawyer. In fact, there are many cases where the entire process does not have to be turned over to the attorney. It may be considered enough just to seek advice or a consultation.
When a person takes the time to consider the estate, they will be able to determine if this legal representation is needed. If it is, it is important to take the time to find a probate attorney that has handled similar cases in the past. Being informed is the best way to handle this situation.