Everyone would love to have a beautiful smile, one which exudes good health and a high degree of confidence. Excellent attention to oral hygiene is the key; poor oral hygiene on the other hand will lead to all kinds of problems including infections, tooth loss and gum disease. Regular visits to your Boston general dentist are first and foremost but there also important steps you can take which will promote healthy teeth and nice breath.
* Brushing: Brushing twice a day for at least two minutes at a time is the first step in maintaining good oral health. Make sure you get the back teeth as well as the tongue; the majority of bacteria reside on the tongue.
* Flossing: Floss at least once a day. Flossing helps to eliminate food particles that have lodged between yoyo teeth, particles that brushing alone will not get at.
* Mouthwash: After you have finished brushing your teeth, use a good mouthwash. Mouthwash does what it is advertised to do; freshen your breath. A good mouthwash helps to eliminate any bacteria that remain after brushing and flossing.
* Kick the smoking habit: Smoking is a leading cause of oral cancer as well as gum disorders. Smoking yellows your teeth and the breath odor is very obnoxious to non-smokers
* Reduce your consumption of sugar laced foods: If you are like most people your parents were always warning you to cut back on candies, soft drinks, etc. They were right when they told you too much sugar would ruin your teeth.
* Regular dental visits: You should get in the habit of seeing your Boston general dentist twice a year for a routine checkup and professional cleaning. If there is any evidence of a dental problem, the time to deal with it is early I its development.
Daily oral care and twice yearly visits to your dentist will go a long way to stopping problems before they develop into something far more painful and expensive to treat.